What This Presentation Covers:
Architects are facing multiple new challenges as a consequence of climate change, from occupant complaints about overheated buildings and poor indoor air quality to continually changing code requirements. In this presentation, Monte Paulsen will outline these new challenges and summarize the science of climate change before focusing on three key things that architects need to know about the impact of climate change on building design. Using an array of eye-opening visual materials and real-world examples, Monte will demonstrate how these impacts are already affecting people in different parts of North America today. He will also present a vision of what the world could like in the 2040s if we don’t pursue an immediate course correction in our current design practices to adapt buildings for a rapidly changing climate and to mitigate the impacts of climate change on building occupants. Monte addresses this needed change not only as a principled response to the climate crisis, but as a necessary means of addressing business risk.
You'll Learn About:
- Listing new building design challenges that architects face due to the impacts of climate change.
- Identifying three key things that architects need to know about the impact of climate change on building design.
- Explaining why the outside temperature is not the sole cause of overheated buildings.
- Identifying the three dangerous greenhouse gases that buildings emit.
- Describing multiple ways in which architects can design buildings to adapt and mitigate the effects of climate disruption and change.
- Format: 1 hour recording and quiz. Downloadable slides are included.
- Audience: Designers, primarily architects, but also other industry professionals who guide and support building design decisions now and for years to come. Students of architecture and engineering may also find this session informative. This session applies to projects throughout the US and Canada (and beyond) of all sizes and types.
Continuing Education Credits:
About Building Science Live - On Demand:
Building Science Live On-Demand is a series of pre-recorded webinar events delivered by RDH's building science specialists. A new topic is explored during each session with topics ranging from building science fundamentals to high-performance design. View more Building Science Live On-Demand learning opportunities here.